Prayer Guide Enclosed – Pray that Roe would be made right
By: Becky De Nooy
December 1 is the moment for which pro-life Americans have been praying for and working towards for nearly 50 years – the Supreme Court will hear a case that could overturn Roe v. Wade. In 1973 the U.S. Supreme Court unconstitutionally invented out of thin air a so-called “right” to abortion. Since then, over 60 million babies have been murdered in the womb. With the invention of the ultrasound, pro-abortionists can no longer claim that an unborn baby is “just a clump of tissue.” As parents joyously post images and video of their unborn babies, we see their features and watch them move. But we didn’t need ultrasound to affirm that; God’s Word tells us that He knit together each of these image bearers; and it was a fetus who was the first to rejoice at the incarnation of Christ as he leapt within his mother’s womb. Yet in America, a sea turtle egg has more legal protection than an unborn human being.
The case before the Supreme Court is Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, in which the pro-abortion industry is challenging a Mississippi law that bans abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy. Dobbs is a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade and is considered the best opportunity we’ll have to overturn that judicial fiat which has no constitutional foundation. Even the president of the pro-abortion Center for Reproductive Rights acknowledges that, stating: “The court cannot uphold this law in Mississippi without overturning Roe’s core holding.” However, if the Supreme Court punts on this issue and upholds Roe, it could easily be decades before we have such an opportunity again. If Roe is overturned, it doesn’t mean that abortion would become illegal across the nation; rather it would be sent back to the states where it was before Roe. The pro-life movement would then face new challenges to pass strong anti-abortion laws in every state, but at least then, the federal courts couldn’t overrule the will of the people. That’s great news for the unborn in Michigan, which is the only state in the nation that still has a complete ban of abortion on the books. That law, dating back to 1846, was never rescinded; however, Roe currently supersedes it. If Roe is reversed, that 1846 law can go back into effect!
Please join us in praying fervently as the case is heard tomorrow before the Supreme Court. Below is a prayer guide written by one of our board members to aid in directing your prayers. We encourage you to share this with family, friends, and your church, urging them to unite in prayer.
Prayer Guide regarding Supreme Court hearing of
Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization
Rescue those who are being taken away to death;hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter (Proverbs 24:11, ESV).
- For the Supreme Court’s willingness to hear the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization case Pro-lifers have prayed and worked for nearly 50 years; now this Mississippi case gives the court another opportunity to end the bloodshed of abortion.
- For the faithfulness of pro-life warriors, who helped to bring this moment to pass
- For Michigan’s best-in-the-nation abortion law As of now, as soon as Roe v. Wade is overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court, abortion in Michigan at all stages of gestation will be outlawed, based on an 1846 Michigan law which banned abortion in all cases, except to preserve the life of the mother.
- For the Supreme Court Justices who have supported the right to life in their previous decisions Justice Clarence Thomas has called for the overturning of Roe v. Wade in the past, and has consistently ruled for life. Justice Thomas Alito has also consistently ruled for life as a Supreme Court Justice, but has a slightly checkered past before his ascension to the high court.
- For pro-lifers who have publically supported the right to life this week in Washington, D.C., and elsewhere
- For the Mississippi abortion ban to be upheld The Mississippi law, the constitutionality of which will be argued before the U.S. Supreme Court on December 1, bans most abortion after 15 weeks of gestation.
- For forgiveness for our country, that this particular law is an improvement on current laws The Mississippi law, which we so much want upheld, still allows all abortion prior to 15 weeks, and some abortion after 15 weeks! It is a tragedy, a moral outrage, and a disgrace that this law is an improvement over the current situation.
- For Roe v. Wade to be overturned as a result of the Dobbs case argued today From a human standpoint, this result is unlikely, but with God, all things are possible!
- For courage, clarity, and conviction for Justices normally on the right side of life
May the Holy Spirit’s power and words be given them as they deliberate with their colleagues.
Justice Clarence Thomas
Justice Thomas Alito
- For courage and conviction of those questionably on the side of life While these probably know in their heart abortion is wrong, they may have various reasons that leave them more susceptible to pressure. May the Holy Spirit grant them great boldness and supernatural courage to do what they know is true justice.
Justice Neil Gorsuch
Justice Brett Kavanaugh
Justice Amy Coney Barrett
- For a concern for justice alone May no potentially compromising background considerations outweigh a determination to do justice.
Chief Justice John Roberts
- For those who are always on the wrong side of life to be convicted by the Holy Spirit May they have no rest until they have done justly and loved mercy. May a miracle of grace be worked in each heart.
Justice Stephen Breyer
Justice Elena Kagan
Justice Sonia Sotomayor
- For true justice to be the Supreme Court Justices’ only motivation in their ruling May all desire for acceptance by the “elites” be subjugated to a desire for justice.
- For those who have had past religious training on this issue, but now suppress it May the Lord make the words of past teaching cry out within each heart. May the Holy Spirit make it impossible for truth to be suppressed any longer.
- For the Justices to know that they will one day stand before the ultimate Supreme Court May their ruling on this case be tempered by the sobering realization that soon they will stand as defendant before the Judge of all the earth.
- For repentance and conversion to true faith of all Justices May the Holy Spirit work to bring saving faith to each Justice who does not know the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
- For safety of all the Justices as they rule on the Dobbs case May all be unmoved by violent threats and protests of those hate life.
- For attorneys who will argue this case As the Justices replay and discuss the oral arguments, may those attorneys on the side of life be supernaturally eloquent and winsome, and may those on the side of death seem inarticulate, stumbling, and foolish.
- For our lawmakers to speak boldly and eloquently for the overturn of Roe v. Wade
- For safety for those who are traveling home from Washington after rallies and prayers outside the Supreme Court May the Lord bless, protect, and energize all those who speak and stand for life.
- For heart changes for those who have rallied in favor of abortion The Lord has changed many pro-abortion hearts throughout the years, converting those who once were instruments of death into voices for life. May He work to convert all our opponents.
- For our Michigan pro-life law to remain intact, as-is Some pro-life legislators and other are working to enact new laws which, though very well-intentioned, would actually serve to weaken Michigan’s 1846 law, were Roe v. Wade to be overturned. Pray that these legislators would understand and advance the best strategies to protect unborn life.
- For repentance for our country Over 63,000,000 unborn children have been legally murdered in our land since January 22, 1973.
- For God’s will to be done